Sunday, February 1, 2009

Me in the National Enquirer

So here is something you all don't know about me. I was mentioned in the National Enquirer. Yes the tabloid. And Yes me, not another Sylvia. I know what you are thinking, What!?! How?!? What!?! Really?!? Hmm....Cool, I Guess. What now?

It all started when my 3rd sister was born and the first letter of the 3 girl's names were O, C, and C. Olivia, Candida, and, Camilla. My father asked my mother, "So what do you want to spell occur or occasion?" Can you guess which my mom picked? Bingo, she picked occasion.

Yeah it is cool but how did the national enquirer get wind of it?

Well first the local news paper picked it up. We live in a pretty little town so most anything can be news. Plus it helped that my mom walked to the hospital while in labor with my youngest sister. Also, to have a family of eight Children with no step kids, or half siblings in Louisiana is quite out of ordinary.

Then radio stations that reported the 'odd' news started to report about the 'occasion family'. I don't know how many stations reported it but it caught the attention of some journalist from the Globe. However, the Globe didn't print the story in their magazine. Instead they sold our story to the National Enquirer.

So towards the back of the April 1992 issue of the National Enquirer a two paragraph story title Parents Cast a Spell on Children gave only the facts about my family and the word occasion. And yes my name was listed.

2 comments:

the narrator said...

Do your parents have a copy of it?

Amanda said...

Sylvia, you are so famous! National enquirer, plus your dad graduating with Britney Spears dad? Now that is what I call awesome! =)