Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Mom & Dad

As I am writing this final gratitude post I am thinking of many major people, blessings, experiences, and so on that I did not mention in during my blog fest this month. Trying to decide between them and then having to write all about why is daunting, but I can't get the idea out of my head I need to thank my parents, and here I go.

Both of my parents had tough childhoods. They did not grow up in ideal situations at all. They talked little about their times at home, but from what I do know I was giving so much better that what they received.

My father was a very busy man even, and still is till this day, but he always found time for me. He drove me to early morning seminary, coached my softball teams, helped me with my home work, made me breakfast in the morning, and taught me the importance of living and keeping the commandments. A quick story about my father...When I was 10 or so I brought home two black cats named Camilla and Gabby. Of course my parents were not to pleased about this. My mom gave away Camilla, and said thay gabby was going away too. I was so upset that I sang the first verse of You Are my Sunshine into the vents of my house over and over again for everyone to hear. Well my father came to me when I calmed down, and told me that he would fast for me so could keep Gabby. My parents still have that darn cat, and a few of its offspring. HA! That story makes me smile.

My mother and I have never had a great relationship, and to be frank it is harder to write warm and fuzzy memories of my mother. Anyway my mother does have great characteristics they just clashed with mine.  My mom is a great missionary,  loves to have fun,  she taught me how to live frugally, live healthy, and to recycle. A  warm and fuzzy memory of my mother that I do have is from when we went to general conference together. We were sitting next to one another, and the speaker said something to the point that parents want their children to be better than themselves. My mom rubbed my leg lovingly, and look at me with so mcuh love and tenderness. That meant so much to me. I knew she loved me and wanted the best for me.

Together my parents have taught me that working hard in marriage is one of the most important things you can do for your family. They taught me that I can over come, and give my children better than what I had. Even though my parents are not perfect I love them and am thankful they are my parents.

I love you Mom and Dad.

1 comment:

Angela said...

i love this post. i'm smiling one of those sad but sweet smiles. i remember those cats. sweet gabby. i remember you singing. you wanted gabby so much cuz she was so cute with that half tail.